Sunday, April 15, 2012

Female TV cops are everywhere now, but it was Angie Dickinson who started it all

Oddly enough, I never liked Angie's show.....too many, um, chicks in it;)
--------------
When Angie Dickinson is clicking through TV channels these days and she sees Kyra Sedgwick playing Deputy Police Chief Brenda Leigh Johnson on TNT’s “The Closer,” she smiles.
“It feels like seeing one of my children,” Dickinson says.
Okay, as it happens, Sedgwick recently had Henry Louis Gates trace her ancestry on PBS’ “Finding Your Roots.” Angie Dickinson didn’t show up anywhere.
But there’s a direct line from Brenda Leigh Johnson back to Sgt. Suzanne (Pepper) Anderson, the cop that Dickinson played on “Police Woman” from 1974 to 1978.
“Police Woman” broke a lot of TV ground. It proved, for the first time, that a woman could carry the lead in a successful prime-time network drama.

4 comments:

Commchick said...

I liked "Police Woman" but I loved "SWAT".

*Goddess* said...

What?! You weren't a TJ Hooker fan? lol

Commchick said...

Nah, never watched that one much. Could never wrap my head around Captain Kirk being a police officer hahahahaha. Now, Adrian Zmed, on the other hand, I would let him frisk me every day and twice on Sundays lol.

*Goddess* said...

I think most ppl just tuned in to see Locklear or Zmed:)